Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Very Bad Scary Snow Day! Very Bad!!


Well, it snowed last night. About 4 inches is all. We had a two hour delay with schools today. Instead of going to work at 6:20, I went at 8:20. The little extra sleep was nice! Oh, and the extra cuddle time with hubby was nice too!
Anyway, I didn't have to chain up or anything since my route is mostly flat...no hills or mountains. I was making my second stop of the morning to pick up a 5th grade boy. The road he lives on isn't as traveled as some of the main roads around here are but there were some cars on it and a good amount of slush and gravel/sand from the road crew. I didn't have any problems at all. Anyway, like I was saying.....I was making my second stop. I was at a complete stop with my reds on. That means I'm picking up a kid and all traffic that is going to pass me must stop. All the traffic following me stopped just fine and were waiting. I had one car coming towards me. I hadn't told the boy to cross the street yet because she hadn't stopped yet. I don't think she was paying attention because suddenly she put her brakes on and started sliding all over the road!!!!!! I can't even tell you how close she came to hitting us! I just kept praying that she'd hit me and not the boy standing by the road!! I just kept praying it over and over again....."hit me, hit me, not the boy"! Some how she pulled herself out of it just before hitting me and drove off. She never did stop. I think she was so shocked that she forgot to stop once she got her car under control. I think there were angels helping that car stay away from us. The boy was fine and so was my bus.
After rechecking all my mirrors I allowed him to cross. About a mile down the road I started to shake and almost had a panic attack. I was able to pull myself out of it though for the sake of the children. I didn't want to fall apart in front of them and somebody needed to drive the bus! lol All day, images have been going through my head of what happened. I started to do the, "what ifs". What if he'd been hit? To see a kid get hit in front of me would have been the end of me wanting to drive bus. I couldn't bear it. Thank god he didn't get hit! It happened so fast and so close to us! Thank god he's been taught the rules of the bus well & stood there waiting for me to cross him! If he'd been in the road....we'll let's not go there.
The rest of my routes went fine. Hopefully getting this off my chest, writing about it, will help me stop replaying it in my head & hopefully I won't have nightmares about it. I'm a very vivid & emotional dreamer. I remember looking at the lady driving the car. It's like I was looking at her face in slow motion for a moment. It's hard to explain but if she walked by me tomorrow I'd probably recognize her. The kids are wanting dinner and then I need to take Joshua to youth group. Thanks for listening everybody!

No comments: